Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pies all around!


A day of pies would not be complete without the classic apple pie. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The filling was overly spicy and sweet. However, I really enjoyed making the lattice top, which wasn't has hard as it looks. We brushed the top with an egg wash then sprinkled it with sanding sugar. This gave it a nice golden, crystallized top. Overall, not my favorite, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying it again.




I am officially hooked. This pie totally proved me wrong. We made the crust, rolled it out, and pressed it into the pan. Next we made the custard, then added chopped pecans and a handful of chocolate chips. Into the pie shell, into the oven, and then into my mouth. I have never had anything so tasty. The custard was rich and creamy, but not too sweet. The pecans were still firm and retained some crunch, and the bursts of chocolate were just right. The crust had the perfect crunch. I will definitely be making this for Thanksgiving.





This was the pie I was most looking forward to tasting. We made the same pastry cream as in the eclairs and added the chocolate ganache into the cream. We poured it into a pre-baked crust and chilled it overnight. The next day we topped it with an oreo crumble and sliced it up. The pie was very tasty. The filling was smooth and creamy and the crust was buttery and crisp. The oreos were a nice accent but needed to be crushed finer. I also felt that a contrasting element was needed on the plate, something to brighten it up.






So I'm not a fan of coconut, but I had high hopes for this pie. Maybe it could convert me into a coconut-lover. We made pastry cream, but instead of regular milk we used coconut milk. I tasted the warm pastry cream and it was surprisingly subtle, not at all over-powering. The filling went into a graham cracker-almond-spice crust and was topped off with roasted coconut flakage. This was a nice round off to a pie-lious day.


No comments:

Post a Comment