
If I wasn't covered in icing I would swear I couldn't make such a cake. We started by making a sponge cake yesterday. The layers chilled overnight and then got a city-girl makeover. Now they're runway ready, or at least they'll get in the door. We made a Swiss buttercream, which sounds really impressive, but really isn't that complicated. I weighed out egg whites and sugar, then cooked them in a double boiler over simmering water. After the mixture had come up to 120 degrees, and the sugar was almost melted, I removed it from the heat. Then we poured the syrupy liquid into the mixer and fitted on a whisk attachment. We whipped it until it was just above room temperature. Then we added more butter than I would ever care to admit and added a little vanilla. Now comes the fun part. We place our single cake layer onto a spinney stand. Then we proceeded to slice our cake into three even layers. Next we filled each layer with raspberry jam, sealed in with a little vanilla buttercream. After the cake was completely stacked we coated the outside with the butter cream. This process involves a lot of waste since you're not supposed to get any crumbs in the icing. Next we attempted to smooth the surface and remove any excess. Then we marked the cake (where to slice) and made simple puff-swirl things on the top of each slice. Last we coated the sides with this flaky crunch. It looks like fish food, but I was told it tastes like a waffle cone. I'll take your word for it. Personally, I would have left it off. However, I think the Meklenburg Food Bank got some pretty tasty cakes. Well done class. We made it through our fist lab. Now we just have to pass the final!
No comments:
Post a Comment